Taxes for U.S. Owners of Canadian Property

If you or someone you know is a U.S. citizen (or corporation) that plans to BUY or SELL Canadian real estate, you should understand that Canada, as well as the United States, has specific tax rules which apply. Marlies Y. Hendricks, CPA provides us with some general guidelines. Marlies has offices in Buffalo, WNY, as well as Toronto, Canada. For more detailed information on this or other cross-border accounting issues, call Marlies @ 716-694-3500.

US Citizens Renting Canadian Real Estate

Renting Canadian Real Estate: US citizens who intend to rent property situated in Canada are subject to a non-resident withholding tax of 25% on the gross rental. The payer or agent who collects the rent is responsible to remit the tax to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) by the 15th of the following month in which the rent is paid or credited. Where the rental income is considered income from property as opposed to business income, subsection 216(4) of the ITA provides for a reduction in withholding by providing annually to CRA Form NR6. The NR6 requires an estimate of the gross rent less expenses, excluding depreciation. The 25% withholding is applied to the NET amount and if there is a rental loss no withholding is required. The section 216 return reports gross rent less allowable rental expenses in accordance with the provisions of the ITA. There are no carryover provisions for rental losses that are available under the IRS code as net operating losses or passive activity losses. For US tax returns, report your Canadian rental income on Schedule E of the US 1040. Credit for either the withholding tax or tax computed on the Section 216 return may be claimed on IRS Form 1116.

U.S. Citizens Selling Canadian Property

Sale of Canadian Real Estate: Capital gains realized by a US person on the sale of any Canadian real property interest, regardless if it has been rented, will attract Canadian and US tax. One half of capital gains are subject to Canadian tax for all investors. IRS form 1116 should be filed to claim a foreign tax credit for the Canadian tax. CRA Information Circular IC 72-17R6 outlines the procedures concerning the disposition of Canadian real estate held by non-residents of Canada. Section 116 of the ITA prescribes a prepayment of 25% on the estimated capital gain on land and building (excluding selling expenses). There is a 50% withholding on recapture of CCA.

Final Tax Liability: One-half of capital gains net of selling costs are subject to tax. For individuals, the maximum rate on a capital gain is approximately 21.46% including the 48% non-resident surtax.

WOW. This is a great example of why we need experts involved in our financial lives. And although Canadian tax compliance is an added administrative cost of investing in

Contact Marlies Hendricks for Help With Your Canadian Property Taxes as a US Citizen

Canadian real estate, it does not have to be overwhelming to you because of subject matter experts like Marlies Hendricks.

(Please note this is a very brief review of a complicated subject. In this, as in all tax, legal, and financial situations, it is important to discuss your personal situation with your team of subject matter experts before taking any action. For more information or assistance with cross border Canadian and/or US tax filings please feel free to contact Marlies at 716-694-3500 to schedule a personal consultation.)

Contact Us

Proud to Serve Americans

US Flag

Across the USA

   An Independent Member Accounting Firm of CPA USA 

         New York BBB

North Carolina Click for the BBB Business Review of this Accountants in Wilmington NC

Recent Blog Articles